Building Operations Coordinator (1808)By Human Resources posted
Position Number: Building Operations Coordinator (1808)
Department: University Library
Salary Range: $23.60 - $25.32/hr
Work Hours per Week: 35
Band: Coordinator/Analyst A
Position Type: Full-time Staff
The Building Operations Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to ensure that students, faculty, patrons, and Library staff of the American University will have buildings and spaces that are welcoming and conducive to learning and study. The incumbent helps keep a clean and orderly environment, maintain and enhance all facilities, keep a safe and secure environment, and offer computer technical support to students, patrons, faculty and staff. This position collaborates with various offices on campus such as Public Safety, University Facilities, Office of Information Technology, and Aramark housekeeping personnel to deal with day to day issues and identifies area for improvement. The Coordinator organizes new library signage and serves as liaison to Mud Box personnel. The incumbent serves as a Roving Tech who trouble shoots / assists users with computer technology related questions. This position also coordinates emergency service desk coverage on day to day basis as well as convenes the Weather Emergency Team to deal with weather closings, enforces library policies with the users, and mediates conflicts between users and staff when necessary. The incumbent plans and manages a broad range of projects.
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in training and experience required.
- One (1)to two (2)years supervisory experience required, with the attendant skills of motivating, training, and allocating work
- A proficiency in a wide range of computing skills and software
- Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing
- Ability to resolve conflicts and to handle stressful and /or emergency situations
- Competencies of reliability, integrity, accountability, diversity appreciation, and effective interpersonal relationships required at a minimum for employment at AU
- Competencies also required for the position are demonstrated project planning and initiative abilities, attention to detail, collaboration, communication, customer focus, organizational understanding, planning and organizing, problem solving, drive for results, flexibility, initiative, coaching skills, and collaborative leadership
- Ability to lift, carry, and push heavy loads of books, and the ability to move furniture
- Ability to clearly read and understand Library of Congress call number system
- Two (2)years library experience
- Spanish language skills
- Database/spreadsheet use and ability to compile and analyze statistics
- Familiarity with a library security/detection system, internet communication, and desktop publishing
This position requires the ability to work between the hours of 7:00 am and midnight (Sunday through Thursday and on weekends. The position also requires flexibility, as schedules vary from semester to semester and during breaks and inter-session. Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume to their online application.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.